When the Wi-Fi Settings page loads up you should be presented with a list of nearby Wi-Fi networks, one of which should be that broadcast by your router. Choose that particular Wi-Fi network, enter your wireless key and click ‘Connect to Wi-Fi’.
If your HomeMonitor is unable to connect to your Wi-Fi we normally suggest setting up the camera manually by clicking the ‘Manual Setup’ tab during Wi-Fi setup.
When setting up the camera this way you will need the following information:
- Your SSID (the name of your network) and
- Wireless key (your Wi-Fi password)
- Security mode (WEP, WPA or WPA2)
- Encryption type (AES or TKIP)
HomeMonitor is only compatible with 2.4GHz networks, so if your router is using the 5GHz band, please ensure it is operating in a mixed mode. You may find your connection more reliable by configuring these particular options in your router settings. If you don't know how to change these, we may be able to help. Contact us be click on the link below. Occasionally we may need to refer you back to your internet service provider or router manufacturer to help you change the settings.
To perform a step-by-step Manual Wi-Fi connection setup:
- Connect the camera to your router in to a spare network port with the cable provided
- Login to your HomeMonitor Account at http://monitor.y-cam.com
- Click on Camera Manager at the top
- Locate the camera you want to set up and click the Wi-Fi Settings button – it's the 3rd button
- Find your Wi-Fi network in the list, and write down the values – the channel number, security mode and encryption type
- Highlight the name of the network, and Copy it (Ctrl/Cmd+C)
- Go to the Manual setup tab
- Paste in the name of the network (Ctrl/Cmd+V)
- Click the Security mode dropdown and choose the matching value you wrote down in Step 5
- Fill in any other fields that appear to match the values you wrote down in Step 5
- Towards the bottom of the page enter the wireless key/password/passphrase that you use to connect to your Wi-Fi
- Click the “Connect to Wi-Fi button”.
Please be aware that Wi-Fi will work best using the following configuration:
- WPA or WPA2 security
- AES encryption
- A Wi-Fi channel between 1-10
- 2.4Ghz network